Friday, July 12, 2013

Slimming

So many of us have a lifelong struggle to keep our weight down and, unfortunately, most of us don't win the battle.  I have a Facebook friend who I haven't seen in a couple of years and she, too, was trying to lose weight but seemed to be on the yoyo diet...losing, gaining, losing, gaining.  Christie posted a photo of herself today and she looks drop dead gorgeous.  It looks like she's finally found the secret because I've never seen her this slim and you have to know it makes her happy to have succeeded.

Now I have very little willpower so my weight is my own fault.  I do try to eat properly most of the time but then I will eat a whole pile of junk food and ruin it all.  The dietitian I saw wasn't as concerned with what I ate as she was with my level of activity...or should I say inactivity.  I nodded in agreement to every suggestion she made about food but when she suggested an hours walk every day I couldn't be a hypocrite.  I know I'm lazy and going for a walk every day would bore me.  I know that's ridiculous but that's just the way it is for me.

If I'd eaten properly all my life, normal daily activity would probably be enough to keep my weight down but once you've packed the blubber on daily activity isn't enough to take it off.  It was the effects of depression that put it on but I haven't suffered from depression in years so that's no excuse today.  Luckily, I'm an old gal now and a beautiful body would look silly on me so I don't have to aspire to that extent.  I've said it before and here it is again, I would just like to feel comfortable in my body and be able to easily find clothes that look nice on me.

On the bright side, the last time I was weighed it appeared I'd lost about 5+ pounds just by eating a little more sensibly.  I've been working like a dog this past month packing and carting stuff to the apartment and my clothes feel a little looser so maybe that can be counted as exercise.  Once I'm moved in I plan to vegetate for a month, though.

I doubt any woman is satisfied with their weight.  We're too deeply conditioned by models and movie stars who seem to stay perfect all the time and we just can't compare with them.  But being in perfect shape is all a matter of one's own preconception so we might even be at our best and not even know it.  Since I once thought of myself as skinny, I must have been perfect some time along the way and I certainly wasn't aware of it.

I suppose it's too much to ask that we be content with ourselves at any weight because there is also a health factor.  I just don't think that being skin and bones is healthy but neither is being 50+ pounds overweight so somewhere in the middle should be what we strive for.  The "comfortable" spot!

No comments: