Sunday, August 04, 2013

Apartment Living

Could I be any happier about selling the house and moving into an apartment?  Not on your life!  I get up in the morning, make the bed and enjoy a coffee while someone else looks after every other thing about the building...keeps the gardens, grounds and inside of the building neat...and will also look after any repairs or squirrel removal if necessary.  I have more than enough room in a 2 bedroom apartment to feel extremely comfortable, too.  I do hear the muffled activity of my neighbors in the elevator and the hall occasionally but nothing other than that.  I told Kim that there is a kind of comfort knowing there are people nearby, something like how I feel at the trailer park in Florida.  It's much, much quieter here, though.

Apartment living is best for singles than families, though, because of the noise factor and also that children need a place to play outdoors.  This is a mainly senior building but there are a few younger people here but no kids that I've seen.  I have seen quite a few dogs but haven't heard a single one.  

I don't worry about having my little guys, Nolan and Nash, here for visits because they are very well-behaved children.  Nolan talks a lot (a whole lot!) but he's not rambunctious.  I actually wish that Nash spoke more but I should be careful what I wish for, shouldn't I?  There's a lovely playground just a block or two away where I can take them, too.  Spending time with those little boys does my heart good.

I'm on the 6th floor here so there's no need to even lock the patio door.  I do lock and close the safety bar on the hall door when I'm here alone, though, because it makes me feel safer.  I've noticed how fearful I've become of being in a secluded spot.  Maybe that comes with age.  There's a lovely tree lined path behind the building that apparently leads to another playground but I doubt I could ever take my babies there.  I'd be too nervous.  I know that's silly but I can't help it.

The apartment looks so nice now and really pleasant to be living in.  My computer area is messy but the new desk should be here in a few weeks.  That's when I'll have Nick set up the printer and camera so I can take pictures of my new home.  

Elderly people who hang on to houses too large and too high-maintenance are very foolish.  My advice is for them to ask many questions of other seniors who live in apartments so they can choose one that suits their needs.  Make a list of what they can't live without (like a balcony or extra bedroom), then sell the house and live the rest of their life more stress free.

There comes a time in everyone's life when their living situation no longer is appropriate and, even though it's a bit difficult to make the change, it can work out for the best if you plan well.  Know what you want and need to make you happy...and then move on!    

  


No comments: