Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Angels Might Be Dogs

It's so hard to make sense of life but I've come to believe that we humans might be someone's experiment and that dogs were put here to make us better people.  Some people are more drawn to cats as pets but cats only allow you to love them while dogs are filled with love for us.  I'm not talking about the vicious dogs we hear about but the family dogs that make our lives happier just with their presence.

My friend's husband just came home from the hospital and she put on Facebook how he was resting in a chair with their little dog on his lap.  Immediately, I thought how comforting that would be and how much healing would come because of it.  There's a joke about how no-one in your family greets you at the door like your dog does and that's because they are so tuned into you to complete their lives.  

My dog, Corky, was never happier than when we were all together in one room.  It was as though that was the only time he could relax and know his human family was all right.  It made him nervous to have us all going off in different directions because it made it harder for him to manage us.  I remember how he'd follow me as I made my way around the house, plop himself in a doorway and sigh as though I was so much trouble to him.

There is another memory I have of a young male relative of a friend who developed cancer in his stomach and he went home to die.  His dog would sleep right on top of the tumor area and darned if he didn't recover.  I believe in the power of healing thoughts no matter where they come from.

When we look into our dog's eyes, what we'll see is kindness and gentleness and more love than we sometimes deserve.  They just might be the eyes of an old soul who has come to aid us in our journey through this mysterious life we've been given.

No comments: