Saturday, September 14, 2013

Small Touches

Now, I love my apartment but one of the unique features about it is that there are angles and not straight lines everywhere.  This is the view down the hallway and I think it makes it more interesting than if it was a boring, straight pathway.  I've never seen an apartment building built this way and I think it would be good feng shui (hope I spelled that right) if all homes were built with varying angles.

I know that newer houses are now built with interesting angles but my apartment building was built some time in the 1960's so the architect was ahead of his time.

I believe in the power of feng shui...how furniture, door, stairway placement has an effect on your psyche.  We all practice it in one way or another by staging our homes to be comfortable to our eyes.  I like symmetry and color but they have to correspond with some unknown factor in my mind.  The angles in my apartment have a symmetry of their own so it satisfies me.

A while back, Shelley's mother-in-law, Carmen, was visiting them and all of a sudden jumped up and apologized as she turned a triangular shaped lamp so that the pointed edge faced the corner of the room.  She and her husband teach feng shui and the lamp's wrong placing irritated her just too much.  I think that's what feng shui is all about, making your surroundings as pleasing to your eye as possible.  Jutting edges irritate.

I often can't tell why something looks wrong to me but it just is...until I move it or add something to it.  Most men don't understand why their wives want furniture moved from one spot to another but it's more than change that's desired, it's more pleasure to the eye.  We know it when we see it.

Sometimes there are things that can't be changed and you just have to live with it...but it will always bug you just a little.  Like having a messy husband who always traipses through the house with dirty boots...you stand it as long as you can until you file for divorce.

Sometimes change signals a whole new outlook on life.   

No comments: