Sunday, October 13, 2013

It's Shrinking

When I had the skin cancer removed surgically in August, my dermatologist told me there were still a few residual cells in the outlying tissue but that they most likely would disappear on their own.  As the wound healed (and it healed so well that you can barely see a scar) a little bump remained at the epicenter.  The approximately 1" swelling all around it gradually disappeared until only the little bump remained.  It's been hard for me to tell if the bump was shrinking too but I'm almost positive it has so now I have better hope that all is well.  I see the dermatologist on Wednesday and I'll be able to tell her with confidence that the bump really is shrinking.  I hope that means she won't have to do surgery on it again.

I happen to be one who has been plagued with spots of skin cancer in my later years.  Most were effectively dealt with by sprays of liquid nitrogen but 2 have had to be removed surgically.  It isn't fun but skin cancer is usually not a death sentence.  The trick is to catch it early, either by your doctor or dermatologist.  I've had some minor skin problems for years and so I make it a point to see my dermatologist at least twice a year.  This is easy to do if you're covered by insurance and we in Canada are blessed with not having to worry about the cost of seeing a doctor.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving day and, besides always being ever grateful for my loving family, I am so grateful for seeing evidence that my little bump is getting smaller.

   

No comments: