Monday, October 21, 2013

Time

Time is so precious.  In this life, we'll have many choices of what to do with our time on earth and it's a curious thing what choices we make.  Childhood is the best of times, where we live freely in the moment in imagination.  Young adulthood is also spent mostly in the moment but with a mind full of worries that we don't measure up.

In our twenties and thirties, many of us are busy building a career, marriage, and home...again, full of worries when we're pushing hard to achieve status.  Middle age gives us some reprieve because we've become more settled and comfortable but with the energy to pursue a few more personal goals.

But the best time of all is when we achieve the supreme goal of senior.  The workforce is left behind and, if we're lucky and have planned and saved for this moment, we're free to do as we please.  It's then that we know for certain that the most important things in life are our families and friends.  Money and power don't matter  if you haven't achieved those things in your life.

It's almost inevitable that we'll have the odd health problem when we reach old age but, with good health care, we should be able to continue enjoying our well deserved elder years.  When I look back on my life, I honestly believe that the best of time is right now.  I've raised my children to be good parents of productive children, one of whom is also a good parent.  My progeny are all in good hands and I can breathe a sigh of relief and step back.  I've amazingly become part of the oldest generation in our family.  Whoever would have thought it??

On Saturday, Faye and I leave for Florida where I'll spend the winter.  It was Dennis' hard work and my good planning that allows me to do this and I'm ever grateful for the time I have to loll in the Florida warmth every winter, at least until poor health doesn't allow it.  

Would I want to be 30 or 40 again?  No.  Would I want to look 30 or 40 again?  Damn, yes! 

  

No comments: