Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Honoring Veterans

I hate war.  This said, I have great respect for the soldiers who put their own lives on hold and in danger to protect the quality of life we are so fortunate to have.  I feel protected by our military but I'd prefer they stay on their own soil to perform their service.  It goes against the grain to see mostly young soldiers being shipped off to other countries we have no right to try to control.  It's usually in those far off countries that our dedicated soldiers lose life or limb and it all seems so wrong.  I understand armies safeguarding our shores but not travelling overseas to foreign countries to do it.  We have enough evidence of terrorists residing right here at home.

There have been stories in the news of immigrants refusing to stand to show respect for our flag and my thoughts are that, if they don't honor the country they've CHOSEN to live in, then they should return to their land of birth.  We certainly don't need them but we've welcomed them into our country as a solicited favor. 

Patriotism is a funny thing.  I love my country, faults and all, and will always show my respect.  I love the United States, faults and all, and will always show my respect to them, too.  We are the same people, immigrants and descendents of immigrants...the proverbial melting pot.  Our soldiers have fought side by side in many wars.  And been injured or died side by side.

I respect a soldier's service, their commitment, their sacrifice.  I just wish they could stay home to serve us instead of in foreign countries.   




No comments: