Tuesday, April 22, 2014

What I Learned Today

I bet everyone in the world knew this but I just learned it today.  You know those little blips at the bottom of the computer screen that tell you to update one thing or another?  I make it a point to ignore them. Well, my printer wasn't working so I'd asked Kim and Matt to come here and fix it for me but, as I was playing games today, a little message came on the screen (magically) to say that HP was ready to install updates for my printer.  Really?  How did they know I had a problem?  Well, I stopped the game and clicked on the message which went on to ask me to insert the CD I'd used when I first got the printer and the program would perform a "critical update to correct a PC to printer communication issue".  How did they know???

Another miracle occurred too.  I just happened to have the CD.  Apparently I'd left it at the house when I sold it and the new owners gave it to Lisa who gave it to me last night.  Now, this was getting scary.

So...I did as I was told, then restarted the computer.  The printer wouldn't work.  Then I noticed the little warning light at the bottom of the screen telling me to update HP.  Hadn't I just done that?  I clicked on the warning and a new screen came up telling me the printer was now operational.  I tried once more to print a form and lo, and behold, the damn thing worked.

Totally worn out from all the stress of baffling miracles, I called Kim and told her she didn't need to come over.  But my next problem arrived quite quickly on the heels of the miracles.  This all started from me wanting to print out a form to send to OHIP to claim a refund on the dermatologist fees and the prescription fees I'd incurred in Florida but I sadly discovered that there can be no refund of the prescription fees.  I'll remit the dermatologist's fees, though, and hope for the best.  

I'm wiped!!

No comments: