Saturday, May 17, 2014

Day With Nash

Being around children adds years to our lives.  I think the combination of love, laughter, and admiration for how much they're learning is what does it.  I took care of 3 year old Nash today and now I think I'll live until at least 92.

It was just 2 summers ago that I took care of Nash and he screamed bloody murder for almost every moment he was with me.  Last year he was good but a little reticent about being left with me.  This year he happily said goodbye to his father and eagerly took my hand as I led him into my place.  This is leaps and bounds progress!

I've always thought of Nash as the quiet one, unlike Nolan who is a non-stop talker.  Well, that changed, too, and Nash has also become a non-stop talker, much of which I don't understand but most of which I do.  His speech does need some work but he's improved amazingly since last year.

Nash is a sweet, gentle little boy.  I asked for a hug and he said, "No!".  I told him I'd cry if I didn't get a hug so he came right over and hugged me and then, stepping back and looking at me with concern, said, "Are you okay now?".  Bless his little heart!

We walked up to a little playground near the apartment and he scared me with his fearless moves.  He's not wild at all but has no fear of climbing on bars that I thought too far apart for his little legs.  This is the little guy who never seems to cry when he gets hurt so I feel very protective of him.  We drove to Burger king for lunch where he ate every bit of his meal, tried to steal some of my fries, and then asked for more.  He's going to be a big boy!

He had a 2 hour nap in the afternoon because I needed one, then got a little melancholy asking where his Mommy and Daddy were.  He didn't cry but mentioned them a lot.  He was very interested in the Swedish weaving afghan I was working on and asked if he could have one so I'll make some small scale ones for both him and Nolan when I finish the one I'm making now.  I told him I'd make one for him and he said he'd do it himself.  We discussed how I'd have to do it because he didn't know how but he adamantly stated he'd make his own.  Listening to him, I realized how this spoke of his character, how he'd grow up to be a man who wouldn't depend on others to do for him.  This is how you get to know your little ones...you spend precious time with them and listen to them.

Nash, you will do well in life.        

No comments: