Friday, May 02, 2014

Five Wives

This sort of show irks me beyond belief.  I haven't watched it but the concept gets my back up.  Any woman would have to have no self worth at all to share her husband, the man she supposedly loves and loves her, with other women.  It's like pre-accepting infidelity...I know this is a practice that occurs but it's also degrading for the offended spouse.

Maybe if there was a show about "My Five Husbands", I would find that interesting enough to watch (still highly offended) but it would make more biological sense.  One man cannot satisfy 5 wives but one woman could, in theory, satisfy 5 husbands. 

In truth, shows and alternative lifestyles like this are an attempt to destroy traditional marriage where one man and one woman commit to each other.  Traditions are what holds society together and it takes a very long time to change, delete, or add to established traditions.  I'm just now accepting that a gay couple can commit to one another in the same way as a heterosexual couple.  I guess it has to make sense in order for change to occur.

There are established cultures in this world where multiple wives are the norm but I'm betting that every culture such as that is always male driven, holding back their females from ever reaching equality within the culture.

I guess that's why shows about multiple wives bother me so much.  It takes ages for women of most cultures to gain more equality and it hurts to see that, in a country where there has been success in that area, there are still women who value themselves so little that they'd accept an arrangement like this.

And I'm also upset with A&E for airing this kind of crap!

  

No comments: