Monday, July 07, 2014

Recovered Chairs

I think I've always decorated to satisfy my own tastes and not anyone elses so choosing a colorful floral print for a Duncan Fyfe style chair suits me just fine.

I bought the fabric at Fabricland and then borrowed the staple gun from Frank and Donna.  Kim came down just before lunch yesterday to help me and I'm so glad she did.  First off, I couldn't put enough pressure on the staple gun to get the staples into the chair so Kim took over.  She had more strength but still not enough so we had to hammer the staples in.  Secondly, we too often had the gun facing the wrong way and it's a miracle we didn't staple ourselves.

We finished one chair and I was ecstatic with the transformation.  The old fabric was a washed out ivory and now they looked so pretty.  But as we almost finished the second chair, a staple got stuck in the gun and Kim had to take it apart to clear it.  Not the best idea.  We couldn't figure out how to put it together again and there was no way I could return it to Frank in that condition so we went out and bought a new one.  I believe in returning borrowed items the way I got them so I had no other choice.

The new gun worked just fine and we finished the 4 chairs in no time.  We had lots of material left over so Kim wanted to recover a bench in the bedroom but I wouldn't let her.  Dennis had recovered that bench when he was ill and I'll never change it.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the new chair covers and don't care one bit that they don't match anything else.  They are pretty and they make me smile. 

No comments: