Monday, August 11, 2014

Gary

My brother-in-law, Gary, is Faye's husband and he's had more than his fair share of health problems in the past few years.  But he's persevered and carried on enjoying his life as though he hadn't a care in the world...been an excellent husband, father, and grandfather.  Leukemia was treated, remissioned and returned, and then bladder cancer reared it's ugly head.  I was so fearful when he had bladder surgery last month and thought it just didn't look promising for him.  I was wrong.

Gary has been playing baseball for a senior team for a few years now and, darn it, he went back to play last week.  I can't express how amazed I am and how much I admire that man for what he has overcome and is continuing to overcome.

People like Gary don't just lie down and give up when they're facing a life threatening disease.  They carry on.  There are many of us who could learn a thing or two from this kind of person!

Not many people are heroes in our eyes because we're way too critical at times but maybe there's a trace of hero in every one of us if we would only draw up the gumption Gary has throughout his illnesses.



No comments: