Thursday, August 07, 2014

"Opening Heaven's Door"

If just about anyone else had given me this book for my 74th birthday I'd have thought they were a little insensitive but it was Faye.  I know she's not insensitive or religious so I eagerly looked forward to reading it.  Once I began, I couldn't put it down except to fall asleep which is what happens to me when I read.  It is one of the most fascinating books I've read in years.

Patricia Pearson wrote the book because of family experiences when her father died.  It caught her interest enough for her to follow up with research into what the patient sees, feels, relates to us when they are near death.  We simply need to listen.

I've written before about what I saw the moment after Dennis passed away...the near invisible mist that shot from his body and enveloped the room...but now, after reading part of this book, I remember other events just days before his death that had meaning I didn't understand at the time.

Pearson has discovered that many of the dying seem to know they're going within 72 hours of their death.  Many even mention seeing dead family or talk about preparing to leave for somewhere unspecific.  Dennis was within that 72 hour period (I believe it was two days before he died) when he told me, "I'm ready to go", but I took that to mean he was tired of his illness and ready to die.  Many of the patients or patients' families that Pearson interviewed said that the patient talked of buying tickets or packing suitcases to prepare for leaving and I'm sure everyone thought they were halucinating.  Nurses and doctors are very familiar with this process and understand that, when their patient talks like this, it is just before they pass away.

In any case, my beliefs are being confirmed with every page I read.  Thank you, Faye.

    

No comments: