Friday, August 15, 2014

Out of Nowhere

My friends, Sylvia and Mickey, were in a car accident the other day and were thankfully not killed.  Mickey is hurting but Sylvia is in the hospital with 11 broken ribs.  She said it all happened so fast...a 93 year old man drove right through a stop sign and hit them.  I don't care what some seniors say, a 93 year old should not be driving and that's that.  Our reflexes deteriorate as we age and a car is a deadly missile when not in complete control of the driver.

Every day that I'm out and about in the car I see careless drivers who are a lot younger than 93, though.  They swerve madly in and out of traffic as though they are impervious to injury or accident.  They are stupid.  Just one swerve in the wrong direction or as another driver is legitimately moving in the same direction can cause an accident or death.  It's not worth it, is it?

I'm 74 and consider myself a careful driver but I know my driving days are numbered because I couldn't live with myself if I drove through a stop sign and put an innocent person in the hospital.  There was a story a while ago of an elderly lady whose dangerous driving caused a death but she still plans to keep on driving.  I sincerely hope we have laws in effect to stop her dead in her tracks!

Sylvia is 71 (?) and will be in the hospital till next week to make sure her broken ribs don't cause any other problems.  She'll then have months of healing and her normal activities will be curtailed.  She's an avid golfer but won't be able to golf for quite a while.  How unfair that she has to suffer like this because some old fart felt his right to drive far overroad another's right to their life and liberty.

I am so very thankful that my friends are still here with us, no thanks to the 93 year old!  


No comments: