Monday, September 15, 2014

Shower Me

I haven't been sick in a while but it always makes me get better faster if I can drag myself to the shower and then get dressed.  There's something about the healing and awakening power of water being poured over you that amazes me even just taking my regular shower.  You think you're awake and ready to face the day but the minute the shower water drops onto your head you REALLY come awake.  The same thing happens when you're not feeling well...you feel so much better after a shower.

I wonder if it's partly because you're body has become dehydrated over the night and it's the hydration of the shower that your body needs to be fully awake?  I think it's also knowing that your hair will look it's best once you're done.  I shower every second day so I have one day of "good" hair and one day of "passable" hair.  Heaven forbid if there is no water on the third day because I wouldn't be able to leave the house.

I forget exactly how much water our bodies consist of but I think it's something like 98% so it's no wonder we're so affected by it or the lack of it.  When I'm truly thirsty only actual water will quench the thirst.  Water splashed onto my face revives me instantly.  We tend to take for granted that our water supply will always be there because we know we can't live without it.  When I think of places like Africa where water is in short supply, it makes me nervous.

Here in Ontario, we're surrounded by the great lakes but, in Florida, there actually is a shortage of fresh water and it carries a premium price.  Some households pay hundreds of dollars a month for their water.  In our park, we're lucky to have artesian wells that supply our trailers with somewhat fresh water but most of us use it only for bathing and buy our drinking water.  This causes us to appreciate what we have back home in Ontario.

We Canadians live in a beautiful, free country, one which draws  immigrants who want what we have and often we don't appreciate.  One of those things is the luxury of turning on our taps and having one of the necessities of life at our fingertips.

I guess I'm feeling a little euphoric because I just had my shower and my hair looks pretty darned good.  LOL!  

No comments: