Wednesday, October 08, 2014

I Never Learn

I know we shouldn't research health issues on the internet but a couple of years ago I had a skin cancer on my lip and wanted to know what Mohs surgery was.  Apparently what I saw is not what it is.  Now that I'm possibly facing having that kind of surgery done (not definite yet) I allowed myself to get into a state of terror.  But today I saw my family physician...an absolute sweetheart...and he kindly informed me what Mohs surgery actually is and then gave me a prescription for anxiety.  I'm not sure I need it now that my fears have sort of been put to rest.

If I have to have Mohs surgery, it will be a long , long wait because there are only 4 surgeons in the city that do it.  The surgery is done by a cosmetic surgeon and it involves removing layer after layer of tissue until there are no skin cancer cells left.  I had thought the surgeon fileted you like a fish!  No wonder I was so terrified.  It's not going to be pleasant to have it done but I'm so thankful my sweet doctor explained it all to me and corrected my misinformation.

I also saw the dentist this morning for a cleaning and replacing the filling in one tooth.  For me, seeing the dentist is an unpleasant but necessary experience.  I'm glad it's over for 6 months!

Life is a little more comfortable today than it was last Friday.


No comments: