Thursday, December 18, 2014

It's Bronchitis

Feeling pretty crumby, I decided to call my out-of-country health insurance company to ask which clinic I should go to.  They sent me to Ridge Medical Center, a place I knew how to find.  They suggested I call first even though it was a walk-in clinic but, when I did, no-one answered.  So, off I went for a 15 minute drive where I took a few wrong turns but finally found the place.  Yes, it was walk-in but, no, you needed an appointment. Hmmm!  And so I drove back home to do a few things before my appointment at 2 P.M., arrived to find no doctor there yet and one person in front of me.  She was the same person waiting in the lobby when I left before 1 P.M.  Hmmm!

I yakked comfortably with the very friendly nurses or assistants who kept promising me the doctor would be there in about 10 minutes.  I actually got to see him over an hour after my appointment time.  He also was friendly, checked me out for about 30 seconds and told me I had bronchitis and gave me a prescription for an antibiotic.  I paid the fee of $125 which will be returned to me by my out-of-country health insurance provider.

Then, still feeling like dishwater, I went to Walmart to fill the prescription.  I waited in line for about 10 minutes only to find that they were all out of my antibiotic (a lot of people have needed it lately) and will have to go back after 1 P.M. tomorrow when it SHOULD be in.  Hmmm!

And they insult our inefficient health system in Canada!

I've never waited beyond 10 minutes for a scheduled appointment with my doctor at home and the pharmacies have never been unable to fill my prescriptions.  I guess we don't have it so bad after all. 

No comments: