Thursday, February 12, 2015

Muslims Murdered Over A Parking Dispute?

The wife of the man who shot to death three Muslim neighbors said it was not a religious hate crime but was done over a parking dispute.  Now, which makes more sense?  It's horrible no matter what the murderer's reasons were but he's been described as a very angry man.  He hated religion and loved guns.  Not a good scenario for anyone to have to live beside.

I'm not happy that he's been described as an atheist, as though his hatred of religion stems from this.  From my experience as an agnostic, atheists don't hate religious people...they just can't identify with them.  I know gun enthusiasts won't agree with me but, if this man had not owned a gun, he might have just taken his aggression out in a non-lethal way.  I think he was spurred by pure hatred of anyone who didn't fit in with his narrow concept of what is correct and was a time bomb waiting to go off.

Sylvia, who is a good religious lady, and I had a long discussion yesterday about religion.  We are very good friends and understand that each has a different concept of "god" but we have respect for each other's right to our views.  Again, I as an agnostic have more questions than sacred truths I uphold.  Sylvia, trusting in her faith, doesn't have as many questions as I do.  I don't hate religion or the religious.  I just don't understand how they think and don't really care as long as they don't feel hatred for me and my questions.

We talked about an afterlife where all is peaceful and loving.  We talked about what happens to the evil people in the world.  Sylvia thinks there is a hell waiting for them but I think we become as innocent when we die as when we were born.  We discussed why god doesn't interfere and stop evil and cruelty in the world.  Sylvia believes we are on our own to make the best of it while I wonder why a god wouldn't stop it in it's tracks.

Sylvia and I have very different ideas about life and religion but that's only a facet of our characters.  We think a lot alike on many subjects and I like her because she is honest and kind.  I hope she thinks the same of me.  Friends (and neighbors) don't have to have identical beliefs to get along.

My heart hurts for the loss of the three Muslims who were murdered so senselessly.  

No comments: