Monday, March 30, 2015

Changes

I heard part of an old Buddy Holly song today that struck a personal chord with me.  I looked up the lyrics when I got home and found they weren't about what I thought they were but I'll explain my thoughts any way.

Often in our lives we make changes to our looks, habits, likes and dislikes, etc. to better fit in with a lover or a crowd.  The changes are usually made gradually until we don't know who the heck we are any more.  Then one day, if we're smart, we decide to revert back to the person we started out to be.  If that's not acceptable to the lover or the crowd, then they're not the ones who really care about us.

It is so freeing to just be yourself and not worry about how others see you.  I grew to understand that the people who found fault with me were the losers in the end.  I'm "imperfectly perfect"...(Shelley described John this way).  I believe the imperfections are what makes us more interesting, don't you think?

In the end, if we're not true to ourselves, we're not really living.  

No comments: