Monday, April 20, 2015

Closet Cleaning

This is a pile of clothes I still like but haven't worn in a long time.  They're colorful, aren't they?  They're either going to my daughters or to the Salvation Army.  I ran into a bit of a problem because my closets were already filled to capacity and then I brought home a ton of clothes from Florida.  Only a few were new and the rest were clothes I'd left down there over the summers.  Add that to full closets in the apartment and something had to give!

I honestly didn't buy a lot this year because of the low Canadian dollar but I've done my share of shopping over the years and that's where my problem began.  Now the closets are still full but manageable.  That's the key word!

When I began decluttering my house, I found it to be like shedding a weight from my shoulders.  It's still difficult to give up things we still like but people like me accumulate just too much.  If it's a bargain, I have a hard time walking away.

I soothe myself by saying I don't spend much money but no-one needs the amount of clothing I possess.  Lately, I've tried to buy clothes I absolutely love instead of those I'm momentarily attracted to and that has helped.  Beall's Florida is my favorite store of all time and this winter I actually shopped there quite a few times and bought nothing...so I guess I'm getting smarter.

I left a small wardrobe of clothing at the trailer and will take down 3 or 4 outfits in the fall but that's another place where space is limited.  I have my favorites and wear them often so I really don't need a large wardrobe.

I went to visit Cindy at her new house and she showed me her large collection of clothing.  I think she has my disease!  One good thing is that there is no clutter in her house so she learned early in life to be neat.  I think I've said before that, when Cindy was young and given a chore to do, I could always count on it being done completely....unlike her sisters.  Kim and Shelley skimmed over their chores and they usually had to be redone.  Now Kim is neat and Shelley has a housekeeper.  Funny how life turns out, isn't it?

No comments: