Sunday, May 10, 2015

Donna, mother of Jill

    For my beautiful Jill ..............Tonight I am a poet using words to express you (as if I could find the rhyme or reason of you) Tonight I am a painter making brushstrokes to capture the look of you (as if I could bring the colour back to you) Tonight I am a musician playing the heartbeat of you (as if I could find the rhythm of you) Tonight I am a sculptor carving the touch and hold of you (as if I could breathe the blood back into you) Tonight I am a dancer flying th...rough space the eagle part of you (as if I could fly off and be with you) Tonight I am a perfume maker mixing up the smell of you (as if I could capture the essence of you) Tonight I am a witch wildly dancing under the moon for you (as if I could invoke the very spirit of you) Tonight I am a Mother crying a mother's tears for you (as if I could ever fill the gaping chasm of you) Tonight I feel so very small by the enormous loss of you.
There is no more enduring love than that of a mother for her child and Donna has managed to capture just the right words in her tribute.  She said it all in words that will touch your soul.  Jill was blessed to have had Donna for her mother and I know that Donna was blessed to have had Jill in her life.  Jill was severely handicapped and remained a child for her 43 years here on earth.  Donna and Frank could not have been better parents and she survived mainly because of the excellent care they gave her.  And that care was given, not out of responsibility, but with tremendous love.  I don't know how they'll fill that hole in their hearts now that she's gone but they gave their all for 43 years and that should earn them a place in heaven with their little girl when the time comes.

Note:  Donna informed me that she found this letter on the internet and didn't actually write it herself but it said what was in her heart.  Whoever wrote it had the same loss as Donna and knows, as every mother knows, how devastating it is or can be to lose a child.  There really can be nothing worse.

No comments: