Sunday, May 10, 2015

My Mother's Day

I was just talking to Shelley and told her I'd had probably the best Mother's Day in my whole life.  Kim picked me up about 11:30 and took me out for lunch and then to the Art Gallery.  I was a little disappointed in a lot of the paintings and art there because I'd expected better.  Then I remembered a few years back when that art gallery was boasting in our local newspaper about the magnificent piece of art they'd just purchased for a couple of hundred thousand dollars.  I visited soon after and saw this magnificent and very expensive acquisition.  It was a huge painting...solid black with a single thin white line going across it.  Not art!!!

Anway, after leaving the Art Gallery we went to Tim's for coffee and Diet Coke and then to Kim's to wait for Cindy to pick me up at 5 P.M.  It was lovely time spent watching Matt and Nick preparing dinner for Kim and watching Nolan and Nash playing.  Her house is a busy one these days but filled with love.

Cindy and Tyson picked me up at 5 P.M. and we went back to her house to get Don.  Then we went to a restaurant bar in the downtown area (on the way down I was told it was a seedy area!) where Kyle was working.  He said the food was great and that's why we were going there.

As we drove up to the building, I recognized it as one I'd driven past many times and thought it was really rough and scary looking.  We pulled into the parking lot and the few people we saw standing around looked seriously like meth addicts.  I was laughing nervously and pinning my hopes on Kyle that he wouldn't bring us to a dangerous place.

We went inside where there was someone at the front playing guitar and singing, a few people swaying around him, a few people at the bar, a few people at tables.  Yes, it looked a little seedy but not scary at all.  I fell in love with the place and would have gone there even alone if it was in a better neighborhood.  

I have to say that Kyle looked out of place...he's so darned cute and clean cut.  He took our order and mistakenly brought me the spicy meal instead of giving it to Tyson.  I told him he wasn't getting a tip!  The food was really good and very different from anything I'd ever eaten.  It was supposed to be authentic Irish food.  As we ate, the entertainment changed about every 15-20 minutes and then an Elvis singer walked in.  Cindy told the owner that I was an Elvis fan so he brought this guy (didn't look anything like Elvis) back to the table to introduce us.  He really didn't sound like Elvis either but who cares.  I loved the atmosphere of this place and enjoy anyone who will play a guitar and sing.

The owner's wife came by and talked to us for a while...she's a real Irish lady from Donegal named Katy.  She tried to get her husband to sing for us but he wouldn't...she said he's a great Elvis singer.  

We left before dark and I was driven home and dropped off with kisses from my sweet Cindy and Tyson.  I don't think they realized how much fun it had been for me at that wild and crazy place.  I want to go back...but in a group. 

No comments: