Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day and I am one of the most thankful people in the world because I was granted the life job of being a mother.  At the time, 17 years old, I wasn't ready for this blessed task but it taught me a different kind of love I'd never really experienced before.  Love for your child stands alone...there is no other kind of love that comes even close.

My own mother was a good person but never actually clicked with me as a mother.  We lived with my grandparents and Mom kind of handed over the mothering role to my grandmother.  Mom worked hard but made some crucial mistakes in her life that I vowed never to repeat.  I was on my high horse!

I've never thought of myself as a great mother to my daughters but not because of a lack of love for them.  In their growing up years, I was suffering from depression and that colored a lot of my dealings with them.  But it never affected the deeply ingrained love I felt for all of them.

Being a mother is why we're here but you don't have to give physical birth to a child to be able to mother them.  I know my mother loved me but maybe I just couldn't see it when I was a rebellious teenager.  My mother had a difficult life, some of her own making, but a lot because of circumstances.  Not everyone can stroll through life and hit the jackpot every time.

I want more than anything for my children to know how much I love them.  I want them to know how much I value them.  And I want them to know I would never go back and change anything in my life that would have stopped me from having them.  

No comments: