Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Grief

When someone we love or care for dies there is a time of grief that follows.  It's sometimes unbearable to realize we'll never see that loved one again, at least not on this earth.  I believe the very worst kind of grief is when we lose a child.  In the natural order of things, it should be the parent who dies first but so often the opposite happens.  It's a situation I can't allow myself to think too deeply on because I think it would kill me.

I've seen many adults who have suffered the loss of a child and, at first, it seems they've also lost their own life spirit.  But with the support of family and friends, they do survive and are able to carry on happy lives.  It's the miracle of the human spirit to absorb tremendous grief and to heal itself.  The parent will never again be the same person, though, because such a gut wrenching loss changes them forever.  That they survive at all is an amazing thing.

I believe in some sort of life after death and I believed in it long before I saw evidence of it.  If we really knew that we'd some day find our dearly departed we could handle the temporary loss so I hope I'm right.

In the meantime, allow yourself to grieve for as long as it takes.  Sometimes you might have to pretend you're healing even if it hasn't happened yet.  Everyone grieves in their own way and in their own time but most of us will heal and have happiness in our lives.  It just takes time.   

No comments: