Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Power of Music

I've gotten into the habit of listening to the music channel on T.V. in the morning.  I used to turn the T.V. on first thing even if I wasn't watching it and halfway listen to whatever programs came on while I read the newspaper or played on the computer but I find listening to the "oldies" or "old country" makes me feel just wonderful.

I bop along to whatever is playing, seemingly unable to keep still as the music flows through my body to my shoulders and feet.  It got me wondering how rap music affects people who like it...not me...and I wondered how their bodies move to it.  I shouldn't call rap music because it isn't.

I'll bet humans have been making music of some kind since neanderthal times.  We need it.  I've read that slaves would sing in the fields to lift their spirits from the drudgery they were experiencing.  Churches use music to draw in their flocks.

Donna's grandson, Ryan, is considering a career in music therapy and I think he will do well.  It's no secret that music is used in nursing homes to try to keep the elderly from sinking too low into themselves.  Even an advanced Alzheimer patient will respond to music.  It's magical.

I have the "oldies" music on now and it brings back some lovely memories of my life at that time.  There are particular songs that bring back physical memories, too.  "Summertime" reminds my body of sunshine and summer breezes on my young body.  Music reminds my feet how they used to move to the beat, jiving till the early hours of the morning and never being tired.  

Some people want to be soothed by gentle music or operas but not me.  I like both but prefer upbeat songs.  Maybe if I was just reading I'd like the quiet stuff but not normally.  

And so I'll spend the morning playing on the computer (my work is done), listening to my music, and bopping along to it.

Life is good!

No comments: