Saturday, July 18, 2015

Why Do I Cry?

Some things I really wonder about.  Like, when I was younger (and now) parades made me cry, especially the bagpipes...and I'm Irish!

I cry at happy stories, sad stories, stories from or about people I don't even know (even on T.V.).  I cry at the sight of a beautiful flower garden.  If you cry, I cry even if I have no idea what you're crying about.

Sweet and loving scenes will make me cry.  Violence scares me into tears...so does my own anger.  Sad thoughts can make me cry, too.  Beautiful music will draw tears before the first chord is sung or played.

Strangest of all is that being surprised makes me cry...even if the surprise isn't for me.

I used to associate this with depression but those years are long gone.  Now I associate it with old age and that's something I'll never outlive.

I believe I am empathetic to a fault so I wonder about it but realize I may never know why so many things make me cry.  I may also be a terribly sensitive soul but that's something I'd rather be than a cold, impersonal one.

In any case, if any of my descendants read this and wonder why they cry at the drop of a hat, they got it from me. 

No comments: