Wednesday, July 08, 2015

New Lights

I was notified by our building superintendant that new, more cost efficient bulbs would be put into each apartment.  What they didn't tell me was that they would be replacing the ceiling fixtures and mine were really nice.  The new ones are plain but I have to admit they provide a heck of a lot more light.  Not only that, but the superintendant will be responsible for replacing the bulbs when they expire after about 800 hours use.  They really are cost efficient!

They really aren't bulbs but some kind of battery operated do-hicky that requires the whole unit to be replaced when the time comes.  Interesting!

I do miss the old ceiling light fixtures that were more ornate and probably installed by some former tenant because they were much too pretty to be standard issue.  It's okay, though, because the new ones are brighter.

This apartment living has been full of surprises for me.  I didn't realize that we had a dumpster so could put garbage out any day.  I thought the building owners were responsible for replacing the old, scratched up sink and dated faucet but they're not.  I had to pay for that.  I thought mail would be deposited in a box in the lobby but it's slipped right through a slot on my apartment door (I don't know how long that will last now that the post office is installing big boxes on street corners).

All in all, I've found apartment living to be very pleasant.  Mine is a mainly senior building so there is very little noise.  It's also an older building and well built at the time.

I've lived here almost 2 years and there has never been one second that I was sorry I'd sold the house and moved here.  I guess that's a good thing!

No comments: