Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Wedding

Cindy drove me out to Dyment's Farm where the wedding and reception was to be held.  I've been there before during the fall when they have pumpkins for sale and a pumpkin maze.  The kids love it.  

When we arrived, I was a little worried because I saw no-one I knew but I soon spied my ex-next door neighbors, John and Angela, so I was set for the night.  They are terrific people who are lots of fun.  There was also another ex neighbor that I had never met before...you know, one of those people who never seem to be seen outside their house.

There were hugs for Isabel and Steve, too, and I will always treasure having those 2 for neighbors for many years.  We used to call Steve the mayor of Duncombe Dr.  because he was always outside talking and laughing or helping one of the neighbors.  Super people!

At 3 P.M. we were loaded into very clean long wagons and tractored out to the sight of the wedding which overlooked the Dundas valley.  Such a beautiful site (and sight)!  Chairs were set up for the guests but it was a little too hot to sit in the sunlight so we moved ours to the shaded area and still had a great view of the wedding.  Andrea was in a gorgeous white lace gown and Stuart was in shirt, vest, pants, and suspenders as were the groomsmen (friends since kindergarten) and the little boys, Cooper and Pierce.  This was a dressy casual wedding and one of the nicest I've attended.

Cooper and Pierce are both 3 years old and kept everyone entertained with their playfulness...at one time marching through the ceremony with buckets on their heads.  Meghan, almost 6, was the flower girl...her mother, Melissa, was the matron of honor.  There were also 4 bridesmaids.  Apparently the minister was a friend of the family, too, so it was a cozy family/friend wedding.

Shortly after the ceremony, we climbed back onto the wagons and were taken back to where the reception would be held.  I think there were more than 100 guests who sat or stood in a spacious open patio gabbing or drinking wine, water, or lemonaid  until the dinner was served.  5 of us scooped up the best table (next to the open space) not realizing each table had designated guests but the young ones whose table we'd scoffed politely traded off so we could remain there.  Yeah for the old folks!

Dinner was excellent but very homey.  Even corn on the cob was included but that's something I don't eat in public...too many kernels catch in my teeth and I can't stand it until I pull them out.  Home made pies were the dessert and I had the pecan, my favorite.

Then we dragged our chairs back out to the patio, yakked and watched the young ones dance.  There was even a firepit in part of the huge patio.  Once the sun went down it became a perfect summer evening...cooled down enough to be comfortable but no-one needed a sweater.

The only tears of the day was when Stuart danced with his mother, Isabel to "Riser".  Isabel has been fighting cancer for a couple of years and will begin another course of chemo on Monday.  She is a very strong woman who will beat this damn disease if anyone can.  By the way, Stuart also shaved his head in support of his Momma's hair loss due to the chemo.  I love this young man!  

Cindy, Kim, and Don arrived just before 10 P.M. (our designated time) to pick me up and drive me home.  

I've said it before and I'll always say it.  Good family ties are what is most important in our lives.  Without a good family to support us in whatever time of need arises, we are just floundering helplessly through life.  Weddings, funerals, and family reunions are all customs to remind us of our roots...to remind us that we are safe in the folds of our families.  People were never meant to travel through life without being part of a loving family and, if you look at the customs of other countries, they're all family oriented.  There is strength within the group.

My childhood family taught me nothing about the sacredness of a tight family but my in-laws did and that knowledge has been passed down through the generations since.

Watching the closeness of Isabel's family and friends last night just reinforced my belief that family is so important.  I thank the fates every day that I'm part of my own loving family.

The fates have been kind to me.    


No comments: