Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Merry Christmas or Hanukkah

It's only the first part of September but the yearly squabble of whether to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays has already reared it's stupid head.

Why is this such a problem for non-Christians?  Why are they so intolerant of how Christians (and people like me) choose to celebrate Christmas??  Some even try to have our traditional Christmas tree removed from public places or renamed a "holiday" tree.  Rubbish!  I'm not really thinking "rubbish" but I prefer not to type the exact words in my mind.

If someone greeted me with "Happy Hanukkah", I would smile and feel warmed by their greeting.  If we were to say "Merry Christmas" to some Jewish people, they would take it as an insult.  Why??  I know that not all Jewish people feel this way and I'd like to believe that the ones who feel insulted are only a small minority.

What the hell, why can't we live and let live?

One of the ladies from our park wants us all to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".  She also wants our annual Christmas party to be renamed a "holiday" party.  I've just decided that the next time she pushes that at us I'm going to tell her that, when she gives up "Happy Hanukkah" for "Happy Holidays", I'll consider it.

As you can see, this subject just gets my back up!

I'm sick of people coming in and telling us to change how we celebrate our traditions.  If Christmas is insulting to you, stay home during December and bury your head under a damned blanket.

No comments: