Saturday, September 12, 2015

Unnecessary Sex Education

Have you ever been in a room with 4 people you love and whom you respect but they have totally opposite views to your own?  That was me today as I argued our new sex education curriculum for our elementary children is way too graphic and the children way too young.  My loved ones think I'm worried over nothing.  Bull feathers!

Do 7 and 8 year old children need to know that not all parents are 1 man and 1 woman?  I'm not saying hide the fact from them because they'll notice soon enough but why point it out to them at this age?  Wouldn't they be better off learning their ABC's?  Isn't that what we send them to school for?

How wise is it to teach 11 and 12 year old children about oral and anal sex?  My loved ones say the kids learn from friends, T.V., and internet.  That is not true of all children!  But, if that is true, why do they need to be taught about it in school?  Honestly, we are pushing our children to be aware and probably participate in adult behavior way before they can possibly be ready for it.

In truth, if you put the thought into a young mind, their natural curiosity will push them to try it out.  Is that what we really want of our children?

I guess it irritates me so much because I love the innocence of  children and believe we should preserve it for a while.  Teach them to protect themselves from predators and to respect the differences they'll find in others but 7 and 8 year old children do not need to know that the 2 mothers of a friend sleep together and have sex.  When I was 8 years old, I didn't care if my friends had the traditional family or not and I certainly had no interest in their sex lives.  

The public pays all education costs.  Why are we not having a say in what our children are taught in school?  A bigger question is, why aren't more parents raising holy old hell about this and stopping it in it's tracks?

Note:  I've raised my children and grandchildren right.  Not only do they speak their mind around me but they do it with respect.  Matt said, "I love you, Gramma, but you're wrong".

No comments: