Saturday, October 17, 2015

Homeless With Food Stamps

What I love most about the internet is that I can usually find answers to the myriad questions that pop into my mind every day.  Someone posted on Facebook that people who receive food stamps shouldn't be able to use them in restaurants.  Now, this sounds sensible on the face of it but not when you think for a moment.

Because I don't instantly trust as truth everything I read on Facebook, I did some research and, yes, some states allow food stamps to be used in select restaurants.  It makes common sense that this shouldn't be allowed for people who live in homes but what about homeless people?

I also read that approximately 10% of all groceries bought in the U.S. is bought with food stamps.  That kind of surprised me because there has to be more than 10% of the population living below the poverty line.  

Back to the homeless people.  If they couldn't use their food stamps in restaurants, where would they cook groceries?  I might be wrong but I think food shelters only serve meals once a day so something has to be provided for the rest of the day, doesn't it?

It seems as though allowing people who live in homes or apartments to use their food stamps in restaurants is counterproductive but it makes perfect sense to allow homeless people to do that.  Logic tells me that the government would have no difficulty at all creating separate food stamps for both levels of poverty.  I wonder if any of those government hacks ever thought of doing this?  

I come from a poor family but everyone worked so I've never had to ask for welfare but I understand that the average person is just one paycheck away from it.

Something to think about.  

No comments: