Sunday, November 01, 2015

Disappointing People

I've become very good and quite consistent at walking away from people who aren't good for me but it isn't always easy.  It's very uncomfortable to finally lose faith in someone you once trusted because it makes you question yourself.

I can understand why some people become hermits, especially if they've been deeply disappointed by too many people they've become close to.  It really does scare you off and I can see someone feeling safer alone than with questionable friends or family.

I've been told that you should never walk away from family but that makes no sense to me.  If someone in your family treats you horribly then why would a sane person continue to deal with that family member?  I knew a lady once whose whole family treated her shamefully but she continued to visit them every year because she said they were all the family she had.  She'd come back home a more broken person than when she'd left.

The best way to explain the feeling of being in the wrong company is to imagine being in a large or small group of people who blatantly don't like or respect you.  It would be debilitating to the max.  Even if you weren't prone to depression, this would drive you to it.

Not everyone you associate with will like you but you can choose to limit how much of your time you'll give to them.  And you can choose to distance yourself emotionally.  Either way, you are in charge of how much "abuse" you are willing to tolerate.  I hope the answer is zero.

Personally, I'd rather be by myself than spend one moment with someone who disrespects me.

No comments: