Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Dying With Dignity

There is only one way to die with dignity and that is to be free of pain.  We might develop terrible diseases that debilitate us but as long as we're pain free we can deal with it.  There's no secret that we all have to die one day and the passing will be different for each of us.  Some will go passively and some will fight every inch of the way but, in the end, we will go.

I've never understood why heroin isn't used to relieve pain in the dying when everything else has failed to do so.  In my mind, it is imperative that a dying patient be kept pain free using every drug possible with none excluded.  

My own fear of dying has never been my end of life but whether or not I'd be in pain and I'll make a guess that most people feel the same way.  My personal belief is that death is not the end of us and that we move on to another form of life so I'm a bit curious about what that will be.  If I have a choice, I'd like a nice new body, too.  LOL!

My son-in-law's mother just passed away and in terrible pain until she was deeply medicated while in the hospital.  I feel that enough medication should have been available to her at home so that she never had to suffer at all.  The caregiver of a terminal patient should legally be able to give enough medication to keep them pain free right up to the moment of their death.

I'm 75 1/2 years old and know my years ahead are numbered so I can only hope my ending will be pain free.  Not much to ask, is it?


No comments: