Thursday, March 10, 2016

A Contented Life

I was just sitting here at my desk in the trailer this morning and realized how peaceful it is here.  As I post some items on Facebook or play a few computer games, it falls upon me how contented I am at this time in my life.  Who would have thought that the chaos of my younger years would culminate in a happy old age?

I never lose track of the fact that it was Dennis' hard work that gave me this comfortable life and it's so sad that he didn't live long enough to fully enjoy his retirement.  He was always the strong, healthy one (other than smoking) and I was the fat, depressed one...but here I am now, very happy with my life.  It's strange how life takes so many turns until you arrive where you do.

I've made direct changes to my attitude about life and maybe have become the person I was meant to be all along.  I wrote before about my belief that marrying too young stunts one's mental maturity and I honestly believe that happened to me.  It seemed my mind really was in a state of chaos when I was younger because I couldn't make sense of my life.

These days, I have good friends who are wonderful to be around and who fill my days and thoughts with happiness.  My family is doing fine and we're very closely connected...I don't think I could be happy if that changed at all.

I have plans.  The biggest and best is to visit Sylvia in September and then to be well enough to travel back to Florida for next winter.  I'm trying not to think about the good friends here who might not make it back and that's not pleasant to think about.  Of course, I'm eager to see all my family again but it does help to have Shelley living so close through the winter.  

I'm going over to Shelley's on Saturday and bar hopping with her, Faye, and Marilee to a Newfoundland bar.  Matt and Kellie arrive later that night for a week's vacation and I'm so thrilled to see them.  There will be all kinds of family get-togethers all month, ending with Shelley's "cousins" party on April 2nd when I'll see more of my nieces and nephews, too.  Kim, Cindy, and Don will be there so all my 3 girls will be together!

Cindy, Don, and I will head back to Canada later that week and I'm not sad to go.  It's time to go on with the next phase of my year and enjoy Nolan and Nash while they're still little boys.  My life is good.

I'll be 76 in August...another thing that's hard to believe because I don't feel it.  Mind you, my body keeps reminding me, though.  What I feel is a vibrant, curious mind that knows it has much to learn yet.  I often wonder how it will be when I'm at the end of my life...I know I'll be sorry to leave my loved ones but I think I'll still be curious about what happens next.  I believe life goes on somewhere but I'll just have to wait and see.

But I'm going to enjoy today.  The peace and quiet of the morning, the Sewing Club luncheon at noon, a nap in the afternoon, and then playing cards this evening with friends.  Who could have thought this old gal's life could turn out so nice?

No comments: