Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Broken Bed

I've been really happy with my new bed but did notice how the bed frame seemed to be kind of squeaky...no other activity here than me rolling over in my sleep!

Last night I got up to pee and, when I went back to bed, the frame spread out and the box spring was in serious danger of falling to the floor.  I'm thankful this happened when I wasn't laying down or I bet something would have broken, either me or the bed!

And so I had a choice...either go sleep on the sofa or raise the mattress and box spring to see what had happened to the bed frame.  I was a little worried because I'd already hurt my arm moving the sofa a few weeks ago and didn't want to cause any more harm to myself but I was curious.  The first thing I did was to drag the mattress off and prop it up against the wall.  This trailer bedroom is only about 8' x 8' so there's not much room to maneuver.  Next I lifted the end of the box spring up just enough to see that the bed frame had separated in the center where it should have been locked in place.

My only option to draw it back in and screw it in place was to lay the heavy box spring on my head so that my hands were free.  Very difficult and uncomfortable but I was determined.  It took really only a few minutes to accomplish this because I also had to draw the frame in the perfect amount, not too wide or too narrow, so that the box spring would sit perfectly on it.  I did it!  And, after tightening the screw that holds the frame tightly in place, I managed to get the box spring and mattress back safely on it.  I was quite pleased with myself!

I crawled back in bed and noticed no more squeaks.  If I ever hear that bed squeak again, I'll know the frame has loosened up and will fix the problem before it becomes a problem.

  

No comments: