Friday, May 20, 2016

Ancestry

I'm seriously thinking of having my ancestry researched but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.  For instance, I am not sure who my father was but I do know the names of my greatgrandparents on my grandmother's side.  I don't know the name of my mother's father, either.  My family was pretty frisky but with the wrong people.

I wonder if I should just do the blood DNA research but it seems kind of vague.  I want more information than that.

It's always been kind of an incomplete spot in my heart not knowing my father or his ancestry.  And I've always been a bit jealous of people who could identify generations of their families all from the same country.  I would have loved that because it would have given me a sense of belonging somewhere.  As it is, I'm a Heintz 57 mixture of heaven knows what!

My husband would have been horrified to find out he doesn't have Danish ancestry...his side of the family just discovered this.  Apparently there was hanky panky way back in that family, too.

I think I'll have Shelley show me how to go about tracing my ancestry when I get back to Florida because she's already done it.  For most people, this isn't too important but to me it is because I have so little knowledge of my background.  I would give anything to see a photo of an ancestor 5 or 6 generations back.  The only photos I ever saw of my greatgrandparents were in the huge family bible my grandmother had.  When she passed away, her oldest daughter (Ida) took that bible and donated it somewhere in Windsor where she lived.  She hated the family whose photos were in the bible so I don't know why she took it.  How I would love to have it today!

Oh well, we are what we are but it would be interesting to find out even a little bit about how far our genes have traveled.



    

No comments: