Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Bastard Child

That's what they used to call us...bastards/illegitimate.  How could anyone look at an innocent baby and call one those words?  I watched a T.V. movie where an 11 year old girl discovered she was adopted and how it messed with her head.  Well, I was 12 years old when my grandmother angrily called me a little bastard and explained why I was.  I'd probably acted badly and that's how she responded.  I remember being in a state of shock because I'd lost my identity.

Everything we experience or know of ourselves forms our identity in our minds.  I thought my father had been killed in the war so that was part of my identity.  To find out he was a jerk who walked out on my mother when he found out she was pregnant gave me a whole new identity in my mind and it took a while to accept it.

It's a good thing I never felt ashamed of not having a legal father.  I seemed to understand quickly that my existence was as a result of the actions of my mother and father so, if any blame or shame was attached, it was attached to them and not me.  I did feel a slight resentment for my father who abandoned me, though, but he was one of many men who do the same thing.  How can you just walk away from a child that is part of you??

Anyway, it was his loss.  He's missed out on my progeny who are all super people!

No comments: