Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Interesting Incident at the Fifties Diner

Faye and I had lunch at the Fifties Diner (a local restaurant that is really homey and has good food) yesterday and, while we ate our meal, a huge uproar of what sounded like a bunch of men talking way too loudly broke out.  They were sitting behind a sort of partition that partly separated their area from ours so I couldn't see them.

They were almost yelling as they talked and some pretty foul words were tossed out, too.  Now that I'm an old gal, I don't stay idly by when I think someone needs to speak out so I bided my time and gave them a chance to settle down.  They did...probably when their food arrived.  That saved me from having to go over there and ask them to watch their language because there were children in the restaurant.

As Faye and I were leaving, I had to take a look and see who the foul mouthed culprits were and I was shocked to the core.  It was a huge crowd (maybe 30) of elderly men!  I'd expected teens or young men!  I was very surprised that those old coots had forgotten their dignity and behaved like adolescents using the "F" bomb so liberally but then I remembered Dennis.  He rarely cursed but, when he was among a group of men, his language was terrible, too.  Is it a kind of male puffery for groups of men to often sprinkle their language with curse words?  Is it the equivolent of a strutting peacock announcing it's masculinity?

For whatever reason, it was both disturbing and funny considering they were aging peacocks who should have been better disciplined. 

No comments: