Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Nick and Bev's Afghan


I had half way decided to stop making afghans but to concentrate on either table runners or place mats but I enjoyed making this one for Nick and Bev so much that I might change my mind.  The only problem is the time it takes to make one...usually a couple of months...and I think I've given one to just about every member of my family now.  I guess I'll just think about it for a while.

When I'm working on an afghan for someone I care about (family or friends) I think about them often as I weave and, in my mind, send loving thoughts to them woven right into the afghan.  That's what I visualize and that's what I hope they feel while cuddled under it.

I know an afghan isn't what everyone wants in their home but I hope the ones I make for my family or friends is appreciated and maybe treasured after I'm gone.  I remember hanging on to and treasuring the ugliest cookie jar and cream and sugar that had belonged to my great grandmother.  I finally was able to pass it along to Cindy who I hope will treasure it just because of that family connection.  I honestly get a physical feedback sensation from handling antiques or things that belonged to someone who has passed away.  It's like a part of their energy stayed with the item as they handled it.  Sounds a little crazy but it happens and that's the truth.

Anyway, there's tons of love woven into this afghan and I hope that sensation stays with it forever. 

Note:  I forgot to mention that the monks cloth is white and the yarns are charcoal, medium gray, and teal.  I also added a full row of teal yarn to the fringe which I think looks nice.  I did my usual practice of mixing and matching borders to fill in the pattern so this is a completely unique afghan.  By mixing patterns this way, the outcome can be limitless. 

No comments: