Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Looks Matter

A photo of a young man was on the front page of our newspaper the other day.  Before I read the article about him I'd already made a few observations based on my personal feelings.  What I saw was a young native man who looked to be about 20 years old, wearing neat but teen blaring clothes, sporting several piercings, and wearing black lipstick.  Mentally, I declared him a street kid with no job.

Then I read the article which explained that he was a native who felt he'd have a better life living off the reserve and I thought, "very wise of him", but also thought he won't have much of a chance with that physical appearance.  The article went on to explain that he was a highschool graduate who was going on to university.  "WOW!"  Now I was intrigued!

I think most of us make up our minds about a person within the first few moments that we see them so the things that are special about this young man never occurred to me before I read the article.

I admire him and his educational choices greatly but I do hope he'll come to see that his appearance does matter when it comes to being a successful adult.  He doesn't need a suit and tie but those piercings and that black lipstick will definitely put limits on him because they scream "juvenile with an attitude".

It's the truth.  I wish him well! 

No comments: