Monday, April 10, 2017

Beautiful Spring Morning

This is one of those days you're glad to be alive.  The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and I won't need a coat when I go out later this morning.  Springtime is invigorating because it symbolizes the earth coming to life again after being dormant all winter.  Changes in the scenery are apparent every day and they're all positive ones.  The grass is greener, the trees are in bud and the birds are busy creating the next generation.  It's life in motion!

I noticed yesterday that the stores are starting to stock outdoor plants.  First to arrive is usually pansies because they're more cold tolerant but here in Canada they become leggy very quickly.  For some reason they stay compact in Florida, though.

I'll wait until the end of the month before I wash the outside windows and put the balcony furniture out.  Then it will be a tough 3 weeks before I dare put plants out there.  Who am I kidding?  I won't be able to wait 3 weeks and will end up putting plants out too soon and stunting them.  It's like I'm daring Mother Nature every year and she usually wins.

The African violets and the orchids I just bought will stay inside to help warm up the atmosphere in my apartment.  Cindy has 2 orchids from last year that she took care of this winter for me and one is in flower.  I'll get them both back and my indoor garden will be just about complete.  I still want one more African violet...white with pink edging.  Until I know I can't winter in Florida any more, I'll stick to just a few indoor plants.

I have become completely in love with dahlias and will definitely put a few on the balcony.  I've cut back on how many plants I put out there so now I can be more selective.  Geraniums will always be welcome and I can't live without sweet potato vine.  I also have some grape tomato seeds that I'll plant and see how they turn out, too.  

Springtime is a wonderful time of the year!

No comments: