Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Still Uneasy

Shelley called me at the opportune time last night.  She had good news about a new job she's been after and finally got so we talked a while about that until I mentioned how scared I've become about my cyst.  I knew I'd get an honest and informed response from her.

She asked if I was having any symptoms and I replied I wasn't.  She suggested that, if the cyst wasn't causing me problems and wasn't malignant, there was a very good chance that no surgery would be necessary.  I understand this but had built up a whole awful scenario in my head after doing some research on the internet.  I could just imagine the eye rolling going on at the other end of the line.

I know she didn't want to alarm me and was using arguments for the best case scenario because that's what we should be considering instead of the worst case scenario.  She said that I probably would have been rushed to an MRI if my doctor thought my condition was serious.  I responded that he probably thought I was so old that I shouldn't have such invasive surgery no matter how serious it was.  She said it doesn't work that way unless maybe I was in my 90's.  I felt myself calming down as she spoke.

I trust Shelley's expertise and her opinion even though she doesn't think I do.  She thinks I still look at her as my baby but I know my baby is one smart and informed lady.  I know my girls have my best interests at heart, too.  What a comfort!

I have a regular checkup appointment with my family doctor this morning and will ask him the same questions I asked Shelley.  I want honest answers but I hope they don't scare me. 

No comments: