Monday, May 22, 2017

Jake's Graduation

I really do hate flying but, when Shelley bought me a ticket to come down to Florida for Jake's graduation, I went.  Kim drove me to the airport really early in the morning and went in with me to make sure I went through the check in properly.  I don't know what I'd do without my family.  The flight was fine and, when I arrived, the fun began for the whole 4 days I was there.

Shelley picked me up at the airport and we waited a short while until the other grandparents arrived.  I adore Shelley's in-laws and consider them family to me, too.  The in-laws are Cuban and they are the most fun of any culture I've been acquainted with.  They are as strong family people as my own family so we get along wonderfully.

Jake's graduation was treated like a party time for as many blood relatives as could make it and I know it meant a lot to him.  If it didn't right now, it will when he thinks of it in the future.  He is just so darned gorgeous!  And smart!  And nice!

The graduation ceremony was held at an auditorium at the fairgrounds...620 graduates and millions of loving, proud family members.  Maybe not quite that many but it sure seemed like it.  What floored me was when it was announced that 97% of the graduates would be going on to college or university.  That is an amazingly high percentage and speaks for the high standard of education provided in that particular high school.

We celebrated with a huge family dinner at John and Shelley's house.  I was again amazed and pleased with what terrific children Miranda and Manny are...a tribute to their parents!

Saturday was another wonderful and busy day...being outside in the daytime wasn't an option because of the oppressive heat so we went to the most amazing movie theater where you sat in comfy chairs with footstools and dinner was served to eat during the movie!!!  I had never even heard of such a thing but now I'm so spoiled I want to do that every time.  It's horribly expensive but sooo nice!

We went to George and Rosie's house for dinner and mingled with more relatives of Rosie's that I hadn't met before.  George and I got talking and I told him about what I'd seen when Dennis passed away and that was very emotional for him.  George had survived a heart attack a few years back where he actually died and was brought back to life.  He remembered the feeling of calm and comfort and how he felt that all would be okay as it happened.  He is very healthy today, thank heavens.

Many goodbye kisses and hugs as we left and promises of how much fun we're going to have at Nicole's wedding in November..another beautiful family affair.  

Shelley and John drove me to the airport Sunday morning and my flight was again a good one.  I sat with a lovely senior couple who lived in Florida but were going to Chautauqua (I know this is horribly spelled) for a few days of intellectual pursuits and, interestingly, the man who appeared to be in his 80's had once attended the same high school as Jake.

Cindy and Don picked me up when I arrived and we stopped for a late lunch/early dinner.  Again, my family means the world to me.

Finally home and having a nice nap, I felt like I'd been through a whirlwind for the past 4 days but it was so much fun!  There was a message on my phone waiting for me and now I have an appointment for a catscan (not the MRI I was expecting) and a follow up with the hematologist.  I will be so glad when they leave me alone!

Now I'm sitting here at the computer waiting for my load of wash to finish drying.  It's warm but cloudy and the darned building heat is still on.  I think it's on until the end of the month and can't believe the waste of energy.  Oh well, life is still pretty darned good!   

No comments: