Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Bird's Nest

Apparently birds think that highrise apartment balconies are much like treetops and the perfect place to build a nest.  I had one on my balcony a few years ago and got a little tired of being harassed by the parent birds any time I went near their nest (hard to avoid on a small balcony).

I noticed a lot of sparrow activity on my balcony last week and wondered if the little darlings were in the process of building a nest so I took a closer look at the far corner.  Lo and behold, there was a little pile of nesting materials piled behind a planter so I first checked to make sure there were no eggs there before trying to remove the material.  I hoped the sparrows would take the hint and move somewhere else.  But they didn't and they now have built a fair sized nest.  I can't see any eggs but have decided to leave the nest alone just in case there are eggs in it.

It seems kind of late for birds to be nesting but maybe the rains we had are the cause for the delay.  I guess I'm stuck and will be harassed by the birds for the next few weeks.  Once the eggs have hatched and the babies have flown away, I'll remove the planter from that corner so I don't get another nest next year.

No comments: