Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Death in the 3W Family

The people in our park in Florida are very much like family.  I'm a snowbird so, when I'm at the park, I see the residents daily and that's more often than I see family and friends when I'm back home.  Our friends in the park become even closer than friends, they become almost like family.

One of the nicest men was Don S.  I don't like to print full names on the blog.  Anyway, I met him and his wife one sunny day at the park just after I arrived for the winter.  They were brand new to the park and taking a stroll to familiarize themselves with it.  I wasn't able to turn the outside water tap on so I walked out to the road beside the trailer and just waited for someone to come along...I knew it wouldn't be long.

Don and Marge appeared within seconds and I asked Don if he would turn the tap on for me and he graciously did.  I don't know if this is the way in all RV parks but our people go out of the way to help anyone in need.  Don and Marge fit right in and became friends right away.

Don was only 68, same age as Dennis was when he passed away, and apparently died unexpectedly yesterday.  I'm sure Marge is in terrible distress because they were a true team.  About the only time you saw Don without Marge was when he was out walking their much loved puppies.

I would love to be able to tell her his quick passing was a blessing compared to Dennis' which lasted a whole year of suffering.  I won't do that because she wouldn't understand or care.  Only someone who has watched a loved one become ill and suffer for a long time before ultimately passing away would understand.  All Marge feels right now is devastation and shock over her terrible loss.  When a loved one suffers for a long time their family almost feels a sense of relief when they do pass but sudden death is completely different.

Don had the reputation of being a very kind and thoughtful man.  Everyone liked him and he looked so darned healthy.  My fondest memory of him will always be when he'd come walking along with his 2 puppies looking like he was enjoying the best time of his life.  And maybe it was.  I'm glad he got to enjoy even a bit of retirement just as Dennis did.

You never know how many moments you have left so enjoy as many as you can.


No comments: