Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Loneliness

I don't know if I'm just lucky or too stupid to see the truth but I'm honestly never lonely.  Of course I have a wonderful family close by and that makes a big difference in a person's life.

One of my friends had a bad day yesterday and it struck her hard that she kind of lives far away from family and friends.  She lost her husband not too long ago and, even though she's a busy lady, she suddenly felt the burden of loneliness.  This sort of feeling strikes most of us once in a while and isn't something to worry about unless it persists.

My friend is truly a wonderful lady, so bubbly and kind, that no-one would ever know she'd had a rough day except she posted it on Facebook.  I'm glad she did because she got a lot of loving responses which must have raised her spirits.

I once met a lady who happened to be a widow and who had given up on life the day her husband died.  She was utterly miserable and lonely but preferred to wallow in her misery instead of stepping out and at least being around people.  There is nothing in your life that can be improved if you don't take steps to do it yourself.  I know my friend is not like this lady so I have high hopes that her bad day will either be her last or at least one of few.  The attitude is everything.  You make your own choices.

Maybe I'm never lonely because I'm kind of lazy.  I putter on the computer in the morning, have an early lunch, do some Swedish weaving, and usually have a nap.  My life isn't exciting but I don't need it to be.  There are many little blips of fun and excitement and that's enough for me.  What is very important to me is to be around people...not every day but regularly.  When I'm at the park in Florida, I revel in the busy, friendly atmosphere of seeing and being with nice people every day.  But I think all that togetherness would wear thin if I didn't have my quieter life at home in the summer.

I suggested to the lady who was miserably lonely that she should go over to the senior center even for lunch or one of the classes.  If you take a class they always pause for a coffee break and everyone sits together and yaks.  My lady wasn't interested but I still think it's a great way to get out and around nice people for a few hours.

I'm not too worried about my friend, though, because she really is a busy, fun lady who has no difficulty making friends.  She just doesn't recognize how special she is. 

No comments: