Thursday, September 07, 2017

Sometimes Selfish Priorities

Hurricane Irma is bound to do a lot of damage to Florida no matter which path it takes.  The worst case scenario is if it hits Miami and continues straight up the state.  I fear there wouldn't be much left if that were to happen.

When I first heard about Hurricane Irma, my first thought was for the safety of Shelley, John, Jake, Nicole, and Sam.  My personal priorities start right there!  After being assured that they had everything under control and had planned well, my next thought went to my little trailer in Davenport and the fear that there was little chance of it surviving this massive and powerful storm.  I'm not proud that my trailer came second on my list of priorities but it is what it is.

But right on the heels of worrying about the trailer came the thought of all the other trailers in Florida and the year round residents in them.  Some have no car or resources to allow them to evacuate.  I'm very worried about them.  I'm also worried about the aftermath of the storm and the loss of power, air conditioning, and access to clean water.  In the very best scenario the storm will veer east and out to sea but the winds are far reaching and will still cause considerable damage to Florida.  

My family will be safe but my concern now is with those year round residents.  I'm so hoping that this will all end well.

No comments: