Friday, October 06, 2017

Blood Sugar

My blood sugar has been pretty stable for years so, when I had to go for my twice yearly bloodwork the other day I wasn't worried.  It was a random test and I didn't have to fast so I went right after lunch.  I have always gone in the early morning before.  So, after a lunch of pasta and 2 glasses of orange juice, this idiot went to have her blood sugar levels done.  My doctor got the readings the next day and called me immediately because the count was double what it usually was and he is a very hands on and thorough doctor.

He sent in a request to the pharmacy for a blood sugar test monitor and told me to check my blood sugar twice a day until I see him on the 26th for my twice annual visit.  Being a lucky Canadian with good health coverage, the monitor cost me nothing but I did have to pay for the strips (100 for $10).  The pharmacist showed me how to use the monitor but he was too fast and in too much of a hurry for me to really understand.  He tested my blood sugar and it was almost normal (no pasta and orange juice before testing).

I figured millions of people use these monitors with no problem so I'd be able to figure it out for myself today.  Nope.  I can't get the cover off the thing you put the needle in so I'll have to go back for better instructions.

By the way, when my finger was pricked yesterday I felt absolutely nothing, no pain at all. 

Update:  I went back to the pharmacy and explained that I needed some more info and it would help if I did the process myself as it was explained.  All went well and I'm pretty sure I'll have no trouble from now on.  Yes, it was simple but I'm always afraid of yanking on things in case it breaks and you really need to yank the used needle/lancet out.  Apparently this yanking is what causes that particular part to often break...poor construction...but it's replaced for free once the device is registered.

No comments: