Saturday, October 07, 2017

No Prayers Will Help

Some Canadian lady wrote a remarkable post about how she has reached her limit in hurting for the Americans and the futility of sending prayers for every mass shooting they suffer.

I understand the weariness of beating our heads against the brick wall of Americans refusing to accept more stringent gun control.  We just sit and wait for the next mass shooting/killing of innocent people by an angry deranged person who purchased his arsenal legally in the States.  It's frustrating but also very frightening.

I've recently been messaging back and forth with a very nice American cop who absolutely refuses to allow his right to own guns to be limited in any way.  This is a man who sees first hand every day how criminals on the street get their guns...from nice homes like his when they rob them.  People who commit mass murders with guns seem to have bought them all legally, even on the internet.

I doubt there will be any restrictions on purchasing or owning many guns in the U.S. in my lifetime.  I see many mass shootings regularly in the future but they won't inspire enough people to accept more gun control.  I knew this when those precious children were shot down and killed at Sandy Hook by an insane man with a legally purchased automatic weapon.  If that wouldn't change minds, nothing will.

So, when the next American mass shooting occurs in the next few weeks or months, I'll grieve for the victims just as before but I'll hold no hope for any changes in gun control.  And then I'll wait for the next mass shooting, and the next, and the next.

No comments: