Sunday, October 08, 2017

Opened a Can of Worms

Boy, did I get lashback by saying an angry man with a gun is dangerous.  I also think I lost a casual friend and that's really the worst part of it all but I'll get past it.

It was almost funny to see angry comment after angry comment from the man in question who kept repeating he wasn't angry.  He continued to be angry and insulting until I just stopped responding to him.

What did I learn from this?  I learned that it's often best to keep your big mouth shut instead of spouting off about every little thing.  I think I spoke the truth but it was one of those things that were better left unsaid.  They weren't important.

What did I see?  I saw that too many Americans who are avid gun owners can't stand to hear from anyone who thinks there should be stricter gun laws.  Somehow it brings out the beast in them to hear anyone suggest they give up the right to semi-automatic weapons.  I learned that automatic weapons are already illegal but there are ways to make them fully automatic.

What will I do now?  I'll back off and wait until the next mass shooting before I venture any comments about the need for stricter gun control.

Do I expect my comments to do any good?  No.

Update:  Wow!  I tried having a civilized conversation with him and his friend but it was impossible so I had to block them from my Facebook page.  I saved the whole conversation and it really is an eye opener.  I know one is a cop and wonder if his friend is also.  If I lived in their town, I would be worried about harassment.  Is this what it feels like to be black in the States??


No comments: